Thursday, December 17, 2009

Today's Domestic Banality

I just came from Home Depot. President Obama was not there.

I bought a bunch of stuff. All of it was made in China.

I struck up a conversation with one of the guys who work there. He told me he was a tradesman but he injured himself on the job. Now he can’t work his trade anymore so he’s been reduced to working at Home Depot. His wife left him. His kids won’t talk to him. He is a broken shell of a man.

I’ve been talking to guys at Home Depot for about fifteen years now. Plumbers. Carpenters. Electricians. Masons. The same thing happens to them all. They all tell the same story.

Well, except for the ruined life part. I made that up. But you can tell it’s true, anyway. You can see it in their eyes. Men who work with their hands are honest to a fault. They never ask for anything they haven’t already earned.

Mr. Obama, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!!1!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Meade said...

I was at Home Depot only yesterday. I needed supplies - such as salt for the water softener - and materials for various projects around the house.

Tearing down walls is something I'm especially good at.

For building walls, I usually have to contract one of those guys at Home Depot on his day off. That is, if I want the wall to be plumb. Bob.

Bissage said...

PlumBob Square Pants? Funny you should mention that. In the December 2009 issue of “This Old House,” page 89, Tom Silva answers the musical question: “Does anyone use plumb bobs anymore?” The answer is “yes.”

As Mr. Spock would say, “Fascinating, Captain.”

Mr. Silva’s answer comprises six sentences. The accompanying photograph is the entire page and is done in the same style as the lipstick photos in women’s fashion magazines.

What would rhhardin say?

Meade said...

I don't know but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be all chickificationated with gumdrops and lollipops.

Anonymous said...

For instance, choose the "AVI"-Audio-Video Interleaved (Divx) as the output format.
To unlock your iphone, set up Cydia, open it and
then go to the Handle tab. It may be that you have now brand new
32GB iPod touch.

My web blog :: installous alternatives for ios 7 (http://perdidaenunmundodelibros.blogspot.com.es/2014/01/resena-puro-jennifer-l-armentrout.html)